The best preserved of the Swan Island historic buildings, the Tubbs -Reed house was built by Major Samuel Tubbs, one of President George Washington's commanding officers. As a reward for his service during the American Revolution, Samuel Tubbs was apparently granted land at the head of Swan Island, where this house now sits. Tubbs’ son, Samuel, Jr., probably lived in the house until the 1830s when Captain David Reed purchased the house and married Drusilla Tallman of Swan Island.
The oldest remaining house on Swan Island. Dr. Sylvester Gardiner built the house between 1758 and 1763 as a summer residence for his daughter Rebecca (b.1745) and her husband Philip Dumaresq (1737-1800) making this the first house built for summer use in the United States.
The Priest-Blen house was one of the last occupied farmhouses on Swan Island. This house was most recently used as the administrative headquarters and residence for the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife staff that stay and work on the island. However, it needs substantial rehab and is currently not habitable.
This 1880's farmhouse overlooks acres of rolling fields all the way down to the Kennebec River. William Lily resided here and owned 20 acres and one cow. The Lily-Wade house is the southernmost remaining house , although it is centrally located on Swan Island.
The Robinson-Powell house is situated next door to the Gardiner-Dumaresq house. Built in the 1880's, this house was used for Summer employees as there is a telephone for use in case of emergencies. Stephen E. Powell, the original biologist on Swan Island, and namesake for the Wildlife Management Area, resided here with his wife for many years.
Sign up to be the first to know about our events and actions as we work to restore public access to Swan Island, work towards preserving Swan Island's historic buildings and provide education and opportunities for the future.